View the Mathematical Competency Skills expected for all incoming freshmen.
Students will receive a notice of math placement in their placement letter mailed in early March. This placement is based on the following criteria:
- Grades and Standardized Test Scores for 6th-8th Grade
- Placement Test (January 19, 2019)
- Teacher Course Description and Recommendation
Freshmen are placed in the following courses:
- Algebra 1A (the first half of a two-year Algebra 1 program, followed by Algebra 1B as sophomores)
- Algebra 1 (most students begin with this course)
- Accelerated Algebra 1
- Honors Geometry
- Accelerated Math 2 (An integrated course to bridge incoming students to Algebra 2 in sophomore year)
- Honors Algebra 2
By Invitation (included in the acceptance letter)
- Most students currently studying Algebra 1 or Geometry in the eighth grade will initially be placed in an Algebra 1 or Accelerated Algebra 1 course
- Students that may be ready to begin the next course will receive an invitation to the challenge exam in their acceptance letter. These students attempting to test out of Algebra will be tested on both Algebra 1 topics as well as general number skills (see the competency skills for all incoming freshmen below).
Math Course Offerings
Students are required to take three year-long (10 credit) courses in mathematics, although four years of math study is strongly encouraged.