According to Common Sense Media, digital citizenship is a safe, responsible and ethical approach to functioning in the digital world.
Top Ten Digital Parenting Hacks
- Overcome hesitation or uncertainty and engage in digital parenting.
- Monitor and be aware of the amount of time spent with digital devices. Technology helps can assist you; for example, “Moment Family” (https://inthemoment.io/family) app will track your family’s cell phone use and set up time for your family to be screen-free during dinner.
- Turn off screens at least one hour before bedtime.
- Charge mobile devices away from the bedroom to prevent interruptions in sleep.
- Enjoy media-free meals where the emphasis is focused on building strong family relationships.
- Encourage your child to develop the habit of completing important tasks like homework or exercise, before engaging in social media, mobile device conversations, or games.
- Address obsessive and addictive behaviors, for example, checking your phone without knowing why or having an express purpose. (According to the Pew Research Center, 67 percent of cellphone owners find themselves checking messages, alerts or calls even when they don’t notice their phone ringing or vibrating.)
- Identify a list of device-free activities your child enjoys. Brainstorm with them new activities or interests they might pursue.
- Foster healthy face-to-face relationships, and help them learn how to manage strong emotions when using devices.
- Provide a varied diet of experiences in order to support overall social, emotional, and physical well-being.
Adapted from iKeep Safe Organization: http://ikeepsafe.org/cyberbalance/
For more information see the guides below.